Cold sores are generally fluid filled blisters that can occur on the lips , gums or even on the roof of mouth caused by the infection with the herpes virus. Once infected the virus usually take 2 weeks to shoo away but you can always speed up the process.
My agenda for writing about cold sores is because I suffer from one , they usually happen on my lower lip leading to some embarrassing and painful days . So I ended doing a lot of research for the same . Hope it comes handy to you people .
Coming to the herpes simplex virus usually enters the body through a break in the skin around or inside the mouth. It is usually spread when a person touches a cold sore or touches infected fluid—such as from sharing eating utensils or razors, kissing an infected person, or touching that person’s saliva. A parent who has a cold sore often spreads the infection to his or her child in this way. Cold sores can also be spread to other areas of the body.
The herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores can’t be cured. After you get infected, the virus stays in your body for the rest of your life. If you get cold sores often, treatment can reduce the number of cold sores you get and how severe they are.
- Feverish illness, like influenza or chest infections
- Exposure to sunshine
- Emotional or physical stress
- Hormonal changes
- Exposure to windy conditions
And lastly is event such as cold, this explains the term “cold sore”.
HOW TO TREAT COLD SORES:
- Honey : Raw honey has the highest levels of antiviral compounds, I normally love putting honey on a breakout , rash or my cold sore and it has never disappointed me( very very effective).
- Corn Starch : It can indeed help relieve the itchy burning pain of a sore when directly applied. The less obvious reason as to why cornstarch makes a pleasant home remedy for cold sores is the fact that it neutralizes the pH of the sore- the virus thrives in an overly-acidic environment-and creates an alkaline state (alkaline is the opposite of acidic.) To seek relief, and shorten the duration of your cold sore, simply whip up a silky-smooth cornstarch paste.
- Aloe Vera Gel : Applying raw Aloe Vera gel scooped out from the plant can help relieve any skin irritations . Cut the plant leaf , and using a knife cut the above layer and take out the entire cube and gel with a spoon . Apply it directly on the sore ,Aloe Vera helps to kill bacteria thus making to sore treat faster .
- Tea Tree Oil : It has anti fungal , anti bacterial properties. It is an excellent disinfectant . Make a point, Tea Tree Oil is a very strong oil , it should never be used on the skin directly , always and always use a base oil or dilute it in water . ( Mix 1 table spoon of olive oil with 5 drops of tea tree oil, dab the cotton in the mixture and apply on the sore, you can might feel a tingling sensation in the beginning but gradually the sore will disappear).
- Garlic: Take a piece of garlic and rub over the affected area , the juice helps in curing the cold sore.
Hope this comes handy to you people .