Hey Fellas !!
Gazing at my old pictures I realized I am a darn lover of nail extensions , I have been getting my nail extensions done from past like 3 years . Today’s post is dedicated to everything you should know when the word ‘Nail Extension’ strike your head.
Nail extensions – A lightweight plastic plate that follows the shape of the nail is glued to the tip of the natural nail in order to add length. Acrylic, gel or another mixture is then applied on top of the extension and is cured to add durability.
Acrylic Nail Extensions: This is the most basic and oldest extension form available in the market. The process is a mutli step one including cleaning, shaping, buffing after adding length to the nail .The acrylic is created by mixing a powder and a liquid to create a substance that can be painted. One of the ways you know you are getting acrylic nails is that you will see the mixing of powder and liquid. This acrylic will air dry to a hard finish and does not need to be cured by a light. Acrylic extensions need to be buffed to give them a nice clear finish as they will be cloudy before buffing occurs. Acrylic extensions can be removed by soaking the nail in acetone.
1.They are very durable and long lasting , generally cheaper than the other ones, great for adding length.
- Can result in damage of damage of nail bed, since the nail is unable to breathe under the acrylic.
- When the acrylic is removed the nail becomes very weak and brittle.
- Fungal Infection is possible if nails are not properly maintained or water gets trapped under the nails .
Gel Nail Extensions: Normally in this type of extension , a layer of gel is added to the acrylic nail and the thin layer is sealed using UV light.
- It is doesnt cause too much damage to the nails
- It is a much safer and enviroment friendly .
- It is more natural looking as compared to acrylics .
- It is less durable as compared to acrylics.
- It cannot be removed at home , less flexible .
Nail overlays – Overlays skip the extension step, and instead of adding artificial length onto the nail, the strengthening mixture is simply applied directly onto the natural nail in order to add strength.
- Gives an extra layer to the nail thus helps in less breakage .
- People who face a difficulty in growing nails, nail overlays are perfect for them.
- Definitely for nail biters who have short and brittle nails .